POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Nonlinear distortion of <x,y,z> possible? : Re: Nonlinear distortion of <x,y,z> possible? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nonlinear distortion of <x,y,z> possible?
From: slehar
Date: 7 Jul 2008 15:30:00
Message: <web.48726e7c9a281388f75a90cb0@news.povray.org>
<<1>>
> To apply any non-linear distortion to an object, you need to
> convert it into an iso_surface and apply your distortion to the
> function.

<<2>>
> If you have a mesh, you can apply your distortion to every point. This will
> actualy change the shape of the mesh.

<<3>>
> You can convert the pigment into a function to, then you can apply the
> distortion to that function.

Thanks for your response.

Option <<3>> is the one I was doing before, thanks for the other two.

But neither of the three will allow me to use pre-defined patterns such as
checker, wood, brick, hexagon, and apply a distortion to them, will they? So I
would have to re-write the code for those patterns in order to apply the
distortion to them?

Is there a way to pass a distorted <x,y,z> to those patterns? Something like
this?

  pigment {
    checker (invergence(<x,y,z>)) // Passing distorted <x,y,z> to Checker

  Steve